The Sevcon Gen4 Motor controller combines over 50 years of expertise into a robust, reliable and proven motor controller which is highly configurable to a number of application functions. The Size 10 unit is liquid-cooled and offers one of the most compact solutions for a motor controller of its powerband. The 700V Gen4 Size10 variant can provide a peak current output of 400A. The unit supports regenerative braking to reduce power consumption. A fully isolated logic and IO circuit allows for total separation of the high and low power system buses to improve safety and reliability. High voltage power connections are sealed with a protective cover and cable glands to maximize IP protection and touch safety. Equipped with a secondary supervisory safety processor, product options are available for ISO26262 ASIL C compliance.
The Gen4 range of motor controllers can be used across a wide range of applications, for example:
- Ideal for traction applications such as mopeds and go-carts, motorbikes, city cars, forklift trucks and aerial work platforms.
- Separate operating modes allow for the unit to act as a fully-fledged VCU master or as a simple torque slave unit.
- Sevcon Pump Application technology allows the unit to drive a pump motor.
- Specialist support for safety-critical power steer applications.
The Sevcon Gen4 range supports configuration, calibration, control and status monitoring over a CAN bus using the industry-standard CANopen protocol. In order to support a wide range of applications, the unit is able to be configured as either an NMT master or slave device.
Gen4 controllers can be configured to support limited compatibility with a J1939 bus.
To take full advantage of the features of CAN communication on a Sevcon product, an IXXAT CAN to USB device with Sevcon DVT Software subscription will be required.
The Sevcon Gen4 range is IP66 rated, providing total protection against dust ingress and protection against water ingress during high powered pressure washing.
The Gen4 range provides support for the following motor types and control modes:
- Induction machine (Open-loop Slip Control)
- Induction machine (Flux Vector Control)
The Gen4 range provides support for the following sensor types:
- Sin/Cos (Specific hardware only)
- Resolver (Size 8 and 10 models only)
Power connections are made through M8 terminal posts. This includes the DC link from a battery or other source via a fuse (mounted on-board) and 3-phase output to the motor.
Signal connections are made through a 35-Way Ampseal connector. Signal connections include:
- 1x Encoder connection (power supply and signal connections)
- 2x CAN bus connection (internally linked. Termination available)
- 8x Configurable digital inputs
- 4x Configurable analogue inputs
- 3x Configurable contactor driver outputs
- 1x Thermistor input
- 5V and 10V power supply outputs (Specific hardware only)
|Minimum Supply Voltage (V)||50|
|Nominal Supply Voltage (V)||700|
|Maximum Supply Voltage (V)||800|
|Peak Current (A)||400|
|Boost Current (A)||400|
|Continuous Current (A)||200|